Thursday, March 7, 2019

ANTI-RELIGIOUS BIAS IN COLORADO COMMISSION

  On Tuesday, Colorado Attorney General Phil Weiser announced that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and Christian baker Jack Phillips have agreed to end all litigation going forward. The commission lost a key First Amendment case before the Supreme Court last year after prosecuting Phillips for refusing to bake a custom cake for a same-sex wedding, but it had begun the process of prosecuting him again, this time for refusing to bake a cake celebrating a gender transition.
  "When I set out to build my dream of opening my own cake shop, combining my love for art and baking in a family business, I never imagined this chapter would be part of the Masterpiece Cakeshop story," Phillips said in a statement. "I have and will always serve everyone who comes into my shop; I simply can’t celebrate events or express messages that conflict with my religious beliefs." 
   In Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission (2018), the Supreme Court ruled that the commission had violated Jack Phillips's right to free exercise of religion by targeting him for his religious beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment