Friday, July 23, 2021

OLYMPIC COVID SURVIVOR REFUSES VACCINATION

 He is both a COVID-19 survivor but also one of the minority of athletes preparing for these beleaguered Games that has refused to become vaccinated. Andrew, who is scheduled to compete in the 100-metre breaststroke, the 200-metre individual medley and the 50-metre freestyle, has his reasons. But for many, they aren’t sitting well.

“My reason behind it is, for one, it was kind of last moment (and) I didn’t want to put anything in my body that I didn’t know how I would potentially react to,” Andrew said during a pre-Olympics video press conference. “As an athlete on the elite level, everything you do is very calculated and understood.

“For me, in the training cycle, especially leading up to (the U.S. Olympic trials) I didn’t want to risk any days out. There were periods where you take a vaccine (and) you have to deal with some days off.”

No comments:

Post a Comment