Monday, November 21, 2022

TOO MANY HEAD BALLS?

  The Muslim country of Qatar, host of the 2022 World Cup, has taken criticism for its sharia laws against homosexuality and its mistreatment of migrant workers. Still, FIFA and the World Cup are holding soccer’s biggest event in Qatar, anyway.
  Now, FIFA President Gianni Infantino is taking criticism for belatedly expressing sympathy with gays and downtrodden migrant workers in Qatar with an address where he exclaimed that he “feels gay” and “feels like a migrant worker” in direct contravention to the host of the World Cup’s much-derided policies, Reuters reported.
  As he opened the World Cup pre-game day press conference, Infantino went into a little speech as a way to address Qatar’s abusive human rights record.
  “Today, I feel Qatari. Today I feel Arab. Today I feel African. Today I feel gay. Today I feel disabled. Today I feel (like) a vagrant. Today I feel (like) a migrant worker,” Infantino said, adding, “I feel all of this because what I see … brings me back to my personal story.”

No comments:

Post a Comment