Wednesday, August 19, 2020

GRACELESS EXITS OF MORNEAU & OTHERS

   Rex Murphy: When somebody decides to enter politics for the first time, the press often asks, “Why are you getting into politics right now?” I keep waiting for this answer: “Well, putting aside more petty considerations, I’d really like to spend less time with my wife and children.” The side benefit of such a response would be that when that person decides to leave politics, he or she could, with perfect impunity, say, “Well, I really think it’s time to get back to the wife and kids. My how the young ones have grown.”
   In no particular order, I note that Morneau told Monday’s press conference about his intention to run for the office of secretary general of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). Yeah. Absolutely. And I’m heading off to take over the Max Planck Society. This OECD fantasy, and the prime minister’s “promise” to back him on it, has to be the effluvium of a distressed and embarrassed mind. Or perhaps just plain shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment